luni, 21 iulie 2008

To my dear friend, Lemalian, from the Misty Woods of Saligredan


I find, my friend, deep into my soul, the seeds fear and discontent. The magic they are teaching here is both amazingly powerful and vicious. Humans have an evil daemon that leads their ambitions and desires. Most of them are obsessed with power. And when they reach it they use it to get more... That makes them so good in magic, especially the Dark robes, those who raise their eyes to Nuitari, the dark moon of mystery. I'm practicing spells here that I never dreamt to even set my eyes on in Qualinesti. I'm getting better and better, but sometimes I feel the magic flowing like a poison through my blood, trying to take over me, to drown my spirit in its waves of power, like it does with humans. The best of them are totally committed to magic; it took over their will, their lives; they became one with it... It's strange, and frightening, and glorious, and a little sad... Elves could never reach this level of passion, nor could they sacrifice that much for the lust for power... But, on the other hand, I have never seen such mightiness of magic, not even in Tartas, most skilled of Elven masters... Well, of course, he is a little bit disputed in Qualinesti, but you know that I have great consideration for him even after (or especially after) those controversial events.
Living among humans changed my perspective. Us, Elves, are too stiff... we don't improve, we guard... we don't change, we preserve... we don't adapt, since we believe we are perfect... and in a way we are close to perfection, blessed be Great Demius, our Creator. But these humans, with their tiny lives, seem to compensate their lack of time with their ambition... they grow in power and they are sick with power... and there's some kind of intensity in their passion that pushes them forward and leads them to incredible doings. I somehow despise them, and somehow admire them... and I know you'll get worried about me since I speak of such confusing emotions. I know how strange this paradox must seem to you ...
Soon I will take a trip to Middle Lands, to Korkoto, with some business and I hope to meet you on my way back. Let me know if you could come somewhere near... I feel that I could use a good hug and some Elven wine drank with an old friend. I also heard some bad rumours that I hope you will refute.

Maranatha, dear friend, and may the good fortune guard your steps.

Roun.


Thosz Rounrianthas of Parthanasti,
White Robe Apprentice

Niciun comentariu: